Sunday, December 30, 2007

Murphy's Law of the new dress

This morning I dressed for church and off I went through the rain that we are finally getting! Wouldn't you know it, Murphy's law of the new dress caught up with me as one of my SS classmates handed me a pair of sissors to help me cut the tag off that was dangling under my arm. Oh horrors!

Someone sent me this smile, so I'm passing it on.

A man in Chicago calls his son in New York the day before Christmas and says, “I
hate to ruin Christmas this year, but I have to tell you that your mother and I
are divorcing; forty-five years of misery is enough.”"Pop, what are you talking
about?” the son screams. “We can’t stand the sight of each other any longer,”
the father says. “We’re sick of each other, and I’m sick of talking about this,
so you call your sister in Atlanta and tell her.”Frantic, the son calls his
sister, who explodes on the phone. “They are NOT getting divorced,” she shouts,
“I’ll take care of this.”


She calls Chicago immediately, and screams at her father, “You are NOT getting
divorced. Don’t do a single thing until I get there. I’m calling my brother back
and we’ll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don’t do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?”
and hangs up.

The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. “Okay,” he says, “they’re
coming for Christmas and paying their own way.”

Happy New Year everyone.... I thought Bill Barber's message this morning was
particularly good. Thinking about 2008 and all the resolutions I usually make
and think about Bill's message made me think more about what my spiritual
resolutions might need to be. Bill's right, we are on a journey and each year
that passes adds to our experience. God does his part and the rest is up to us.
We can't just sit back and expect a free ride. I'm thinking this is what having
a relationship with Jesus is ... it's the give and take and certainly not meant
to be all one sided.

Have a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Joni said...

Happy New Year Phyllis! Good idea to think about spiritual resolutions - that one tends to get lost among the worldly goals we tend to focus on. I'm curious at what yours might be? You've given me something to think about...it's been nice to have "met" you this year. I like visiting your blog, there's always something cute, funny, or inspirational! Have a safe and happy new year!
Joni

Word of the day.

.:.