Friday, December 7, 2007

Prayer request

Sisters,

Every time I think I'm headed in the right direction to be well and be able to exercise so I can take some of this weight off, I have another problem to crop up. I've told y'all about my anemia and I have a new doctor (hematologist)in Macon, referred to me by Dr. Warnock and Bramlett, that is doing wonders with that by having me take a new medication called Repliva. For the last several years I've take intravenous iron, but couldn't keep the iron in my system as they expected it to. If you have ever had a problem with anemia, I suggest you talk with your doctor about Repliva. It's working for me. My hemoglobin count is up to 9 from 6 and normal is 12. hemoglobin count is a good indication of how much iron you have for immediate use as I understand it. Correct me if this is wrong. My ferritin level is at 11.7 from 3.3 and he thinks I'll reach 80 in three months. He wants me to keep my ferritin level between 80 and 250 which is your iron reserves that your body stores, again as I understand it. Dr. Denton and Dr. Barlow say that I probably will need to take iron medication for the rest of my life because my genes indicate I have the alpha thalssemia trait which is one of the reasons I have this iron problem. The other is because diverticoulos and blood loss from an erosion in my hiatal hernia.

Sigh.

I've mentioned that I was having some problems with the knee that I broke three years ago and having tailbone, hip, knee and calf muscle problems that have kept me limping around and not being able to sit at the computer or even stand for longer than 20 minutes. I've been going to PT under recommendations from Dr. Hopkins in Griffin who gave me shot of cortisone in my knee on the left side about 7 weeks ago. I haven't seen the relief expected. Yesterday, after Brent insisted, I went to Dr. Doniti here in Thomaston and he did further evaluation and says that my knee as developed severe arthritis which is a pretty normal thing for a kneecap injury to have. With reservations, he gave me another shot of cortisone in my knee except from the right side and told me that my next option would be knee replacement. Needless to say I'm upset. Betty Franklin says the problem with my teeth is probably from gritting them. I agree. (giggle)

Please pray with me that this second cortisone shot will help enough to keep me going without having to have knee replacement. I am scared to death over that possibility. I seem to be doing better this morning... better than the first shot, and can been my knee without much pain. Dr. Doniti says that he feels the pain in my tailbone, hip and of course my calf is all coming from the gait I have developed trying to keep my knee from hurting. Ever since I broke my patella I have had a limp that comes and goes, gets better, then gets worse.

Marilyn McGaha and I laughed a couple of years ago about me walking like an old lady, and I thought going to the wellness center would be good for me with the heated pool, but the pool aggravated my other problem with psoriasis, so coupled with that and the exercise machines really hurting my knee, I quit.

Anyway, I do covet your prayers. The days I had to use the walker to get around, Lesley Stevenson and Anna Mary Ellerbee have been kind enough to take me to doctors and other places I needed to go. Some days I’m do really well without the walker, then other days I just can’t trust my knee, so I prop on the walker, a shopping cart, or on Brent and Terri.

I’ve tried really hard not to say much about all this because I don’t want to whine. I’d rather just laugh it off when I can, but it’s gone passed laughing and I don’t like it, especially when it keeps me from keeping the Carley Ann and Anna Claire, and my garden just completely grew up with weeds this year. Keeping a good attitude is what I know God wants us to have, so I’ve tried really hard to do that.

This scripture is special to me, if you have time, read it and the sermon at this link:

http://www.horizonsnet.org/sermons/eph12.html

Much as been made lately on the news programs about the power of prayer. I’m glad the world is finding out what we as Christians have already been told.

"For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man; so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:14-21)"

More:

Positive attitude -- http://www.horizonsnet.org/sermons/phil22.html

I can do all things -- http://www.horizonsnet.org/sermons/phil23.html

Well, all of them are good at this site. Enjoy and thanks so very much, Phyllis

--
Phyllis Franklin
http://www.phyllisfranklin.com

No comments:

Word of the day.

.:.