Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Focus


And when they raised their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only. Matthew 17:8


Yesterday I got distracted from my Monday routine. I hate that but it was my own fault. I think it's the same with many of the routines of my life. I'm easily distracted. I guess that can be a good thing but most of the time is not. This is one of the reasons I seem to never get things completed. Many times I quit just before I'm really done, leaving one coffee cup in the sink or one bill to be paid another day. I lose my focus; it's one of my flaws.

I find this is true too with my spiritual life. I tend to look too much in what I can't do rather than what God can do through me and I give up to easily. I CAN do all things with His help, but without His help I'm a mess.

My prayer today is for strength to keep my focus on Jesus, to continue to look to Him for guidance in all things, to continue to grow in knowledge and faith. I also pray for those that are on my prayer list like Jacob, Corrine's Tom as he goes through adjustments to his defibrillator, Harold in ICU that they may feel the power of your hand today and feel the power of the Holy Spirit filling them with hope and peace.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:18


I've been thinking what I can show you as a Tuesday Treasure. My mother always kept a very clean house and try as I might, I will never live up to her example. Many years ago she gave me two salt and pepper shakers that she had bought in Germany that I had said I loved. They stand proud in my kitchen window and bring me joy each time I look at them. My kitchen window looks out over my garden and the garden house now converted into my painting studio. Mr. Salt is a baker and Mr. Pepper is a chimney sweep. They remind me that we all have jobs to do and we can take pride and enjoy doing even the most lowly things.

Somehow my mind has drifted to the memory of how my neighbor always left his house singing when he was going to his job at the post office. The study I saw on the 20/20TV show comes to mind too when they said one thing that made Denmark the number one happiest country is that everyone there did not have to choose jobs for the sake of money, but rather they chose jobs because that's what they really loved to do! Here's hoping we all will find joy in the salt and pepper jobs of our lives. :)

4 comments:

Joni said...

I also am easily distracted but I figure there's no harm done as long as I can eventually return to my original "task". I've had many moments of spontaneous adventure by allowing myself to wander...could be why my house is always a mess!
~~Thank you so kindly for continued prayer for Jacob...it's been a rough road for the little guy (but he's doing fine)-I'll update on my blog as soon as time permits~~
Wishes to you for a HaPpY dAy in Georgia.

kimberly said...

what a sweet post! love your analogy.

what a wonderful thing....to choose how we spend our days because we love it, rather than just to make a living. there is that saying "so busy making a living, instead of making a life"...i, too, hope we find those "salt and pepper" opportunities!

Joni said...

I like your salt & pepper shakers...I was trying to imagine what a chimney sweep pepper shaker could look like and it's much different in my imagination...and much cuter in reality. Thank you for sharing a picture and you are absolutely right that we can and should take pride in the jobs we do. Reminds me of a giant sign that use to hang where I use to work-PRIDE: Personal Responsibility In Daily Efforts. I guess most things do come down to our overall outlook on life. Thanks for sharing such a sentimental treasure Phyllis. Isn't this fun?

Annette said...

sorry this is late, but I love the story of your salt & pepper shaker, I can't tell you engough how I love your blog's!

Word of the day.

.:.