Monday, February 18, 2008

Envy

But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds. Psalms 73:28



Sometimes I wish that I could just start over and get a second chance at a different kind of life. I'm envious of those that are living exciting lives, living in exotic places, mingling with fascinating people, doing important work, and otherwise just being over the top wonderful.

When envy creeps in, I have to check myself and realize that I do live an exciting life, I do live in an exotic place, I do mingle with fascinating people, I am doing important work and I am over the top wonderful.

There has been much written as of late about living your best life and I totally agree with doing that, but at the front I know I must put God. I am glad we have a Savior to turn to that knows us, loves us and keeps His hand on us. Without Him I truly would be nothing. I am fearfully and wonderfully made! The one thing I would not change in my life is knowing God… knowing Jesus as my personal Savior… having the Holy Spirit live within me. So, there you have it, enough about me. Time to get this wonderful day going.

Psalm 139 NIV
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.
5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, [a] you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to [b] me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.
19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God!
Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!
20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD,
and abhor those who rise up against you?
22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

wonderful words to read this morning, phyllis......i think we all go through those feeling every now and then! :) and then we realize that we need to "bloom where we are planted" and that we have so many blessings right here!
have a wonderful day,
kimberly

Joni said...

Part of what makes YOU so wonderful Phyllis is that you do put God up front and it shows and believe me when one's Godliness is showing, there's not another thing in the world to be envious of...we each are assigned the most important job in the world...to be ourselves and when that includes Jesus, well then what more could we possibly want?

Have an over-the-top wonderful day!
Joni

Word of the day.

.:.