Friday, February 29, 2008

Giving


Acts 2:42-47

42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

43 Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles.

44 All the believers were together and had everything in common.

45 Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.

46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,

47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.


Thinking about how the apostles and followers of Jesus Christ must have lived and how strong their faith grew, I’m wondering what I would have done had I lived in that era? Would I have been one that gave away everything I owned?

I lead such a blessed life. I have more than I need and I have treasures, some only meaning something to me, and others that could be sold for a few dollars if the right buyer came along. We have a house on the Flint River and in 1994 it was completely flooded on the inside. The family heirlooms I had in the house were washed down the river to Albany. The water was so strong when it got to Albany many of the caskets from graveyards there came to the surface and were washed into small coves along the way. I was heartbroken to lose so many of the things I valued as part of my life. Many lost so much more than we did.

Slowly I began to understand that while those things were important to me, they were not the most important things. If everything were taken away from me today I would react differently because I am older and I understand where to find true value.

True value is found in the giving. It doesn’t matter if it is your material things, your love, your time, or just a kind word. True value is found in the giving. Jesus said it best in Luke 6:38 ; “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Have a fun filled Friday! I’m open for the new adventure of the day. Tonight I get to watch Carley Ann and Anna Claire have sweet dreams and get to play with them tomorrow moring. I know those of you that read this blog will agree these things make life wonderful. Who could wish for more? My lap runs over ; I know yours does too. :)

Hey! Thanks to the calendar people for giving us an extra day in February this year. Happy Leap day everyone!

3 comments:

Joni said...

my goodness Phyllis, I'm so sorry to hear about the flood you experienced in 1994. I cannot imagine watching my things float away and yet I know things do not a castle make...we are truly blessed as you have well noted when our laps runneth over and of course this pertains to many things...enjoy the value of your time spent with those cute little Georgian angels...

hugs,
Joni

kimberly said...

happy leap year to you too, phyllis and have a wonderful day!

i have been reading about the need to be more of a servant.... "i serve God by serving others" and "if you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of my followers, you will surely be rewarded."....saying even the smallest things we do with joy and service are noticed.

it went along with your post today....love that! and thanks for sharing.
kimberly

Annette said...

You know Phyllis when my husband and I lost our home to foreclosure cause we got in one of those funny loans out here, and had to back to renting, I was so sad, depressed, and confusion, but then something reminded me..Hmm who could that have been...? At least you still have your family and your not living in your car, or in a hotel or something, thing's can be replaced but your family can't

Word of the day.

.:.