Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Knowledge


Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8


My Treasure image today is a set of Mother's day and Father's day plates for the years 1973 and 1974, the years Brent was conceived and born.
.:.

In the art world there is a phenomenon going on where painters across the world are joining in to paint one painting a day. Some painters are doing this to hone their skills and others are doing it so they can mass a body of work they can sell on ebay at a price that collectors can buy reasonably since the paintings are often no larger than 5x7. The largest painting a day group make up the artists that are wanting to practice so they either understand a particular medium better or they understand the art principles that make a good painting better. They are a dedicated bunch and I admire their energy and mission.

Thinking about this yesterday I realized that God told us about the value of studying to increase our knowledge. The Bible is our schoolbook not just about spiritual matters but life itself. It’s full of answers to so many questions on so many subjects it completely astounds me, as I said yesterday, “Imagine that.” I know that by getting up each morning and starting my day with a scripture makes my day so much better. I’m stronger in ways that I’m just learning about.

There are times I get frustrated because someone will say or I will read that to be healthy or to live longer, or to feel better, to be successful or whatever, I need to devote an hour to this or to that. The problem is, how many hours do we have we can divide? Today I pray for time to do all I want and need to do.


Ecclesiastes 3 1:14 (NIV)
A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

9 What does the worker gain from his toil?

10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men.

11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.

13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.

14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.

4 comments:

kimberly said...

i so understand the need for time, phyllis.....it can be frustrating... it has been something i wrestle with and i have had many conversations with myself about it...so i try and enjoy the hour i am in, even if i'm not getting done what i want to or doing what needs to be done.....as i will never have that time back.....it seems to be saving some wear and tear on me! :0

love the scripture...one that has meant a lot to me lately.
have a wonderful day,
kimberly

Annette said...

This has me thinking about so much...Thank you for giving me something to think about other then the same'ol same'ol...Love ya Nettie

kimberly said...

i love them, phyllis.....those are the years of my oldest also!

Joni said...

I love your plates Phyllis. I enlarged them to see the detail and they remind me of some that my favorite aunt had when I was a little girl. I remember trying to convince her that we should eat our special cake desserts on those because we would be "like royalty". She never went for it...(thank goodness)...and yes, you are right...there aren't enough hours to devote to all the things we need to do to make us "perfect". It's a good thing we were never meant to be perfect, now I can take my time and find my own balance of living.

have a wonderful evening ~
Joni

Word of the day.

.:.