Monday, February 25, 2008

Seeds


In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper, either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good. Ecclesiastes 11:6


Image today is my mother and Anna Claire with her puppy backpack on.

I remember my grandmother taking down the Farmer's Almanac so she could look for moon signs, which would tell her the best time to plant. The almanac was full of charts and calendars and seemed to be very complicated. I don’t know if she actually used any of that information but as an adult I realize that she was just trying to do the things she had been taught so she could keep her family together. She still had three children at home when my grandfather died. I can’t imagine what that must have been like given that she had always been a homemaker and looked to my grandfather as the breadwinner of the family.

In later years I remember my grandmother sitting in the recliner asleep with the Bible in her lap. She found comfort and rest in reading the Bible. Again, she was doing as she had been taught. I am constantly amazed at the wisdom found on the pages of the Bible. Not only is it our spiritual guide and our relationship guide, but it is also offers up practical information we can use to live our lives day by day. Imagine that.

3 comments:

Joni said...

Isn't it wonderful that we have a book we can refer to for everything! It's like the GPS system for our soul...LOL. I like the passage you are sharing today...such promise in what we plant, but such patience required to see what will grow.

I hope your day is pleasant there in Georgia ~
JoNi :)

Cory said...

i remember seeing my mother spend so much time with the Bible....she was very shy, but she knew her Bible inside and out....i was thinking the other day how nice it would be to have her here to answer questions i have when reading.....
hope you had a wonderful day

kimberly said...

phyllis.....cory is me....she must have been signed in when i left my comment! :)

Word of the day.

.:.