Saturday, February 9, 2008

Wisdom


But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 1 Cornithians 2:9



I'm so glad that I can keep learning new things and new ways to do them so I don't have to get stuck in a rut. Today's chicken and dumplings recipe is a new way to make an old favorite. I've always made chicken and dumplings the traditional way and loved them, but this recipe is just as good and a lot quicker plus it adds in veggies.

God doesn't want us to get stuck in a rut either. No matter where we are in our spiritual life or our earthly life, God has so much more in store for us. He wants to give us more wisdom, a deeper walk with Him, a better earthly life, and even things we don't know about. I'm so thankful that he wants to give us more wisdom because sometimes I think my thinker just isn't working. Today I'm praying for that wisdom for family, friends and me that have difficult decisions to make or just general life struggles. We all need more and more wisdom.


Flour Tortilla Chicken & Dumplings

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup pre-chopped onion
2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 (10-ounce) box frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Preparation
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken and vegetables; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.
While chicken mixture cooks, combine water, flour, and broth. Gradually stir broth mixture into chicken mixture. Stir in salt, pepper, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Stir in tortilla strips, and cook 2 minutes or until tortilla strips soften. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Discard bay leaf. Serve immediately.
Yield
4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
Nutritional Information
CALORIES 366(23% from fat); FAT 9.3g (sat 3.1g,mono 3.9g,poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 29.8g; CHOLESTEROL 67mg; CALCIUM 104mg; SODIUM 652mg; FIBER 5.3g; IRON 3.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 40.3g
Melanie Barnard , Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005

1 comment:

Joni said...

Sounds like a yummy recipe. My kids love chicken and dumplings, but I've only made them the old fashioned way. I'll have to give this a try!...and thank you dear heart for your "empty nest" comment, it meant a lot to me and I think I'm learning as I go...in the very least I'm gathering courage for the day he leaves, but I do believe he'll be back often to visit...besides no one does laundry like mom :)

Word of the day.

.:.