Saturday, May 17, 2008

Testimony

John 1: 19-28


19 Now this was John's testimony when the Jews of Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was.

20 He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, "I am not the Christ."

21 They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?"
He said, "I am not."
"Are you the Prophet?"
He answered, "No."

22 Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?"

23 John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, 'Make straight the way for the Lord.' "

24 Now some Pharisees who had been sent 25 questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"

26 "I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know.

27 He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie."

28 This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing.


John's testimony was a powerful one. Not only did he let people know that they should not look at him as the Christ, Elijah, or the Prophet, he let the Pharisees who were sent to question him know that the Christ was coming.

I often try to put myself in the shoes of the Pharisees or other groups or people in the Bible, but my limited knowledge doesn't quite get me there. I have to study to understand and confess I don't study as deeply as I should. Sometimes I think I'll just begin to understand by osmosis, like just holding my Bible or keeping it on the couch by me while I read a different book. Sigh.

Today these verses set the stage for me to better understand the history of the people that lived by the scriptures they had at the time before Christ and the fulfillment of those scriptures we live by today.

In these verses and much of the Gospel, John explores what it means to confess that Jesus is "the Christ, the Son of God". Even though John was written for a local church that had been closely related to Judaism to help them become stronger in their faith, the same message that they needed to hear is the same message I need today. I am thankful that I have these words to help me understand and guide me into deeper understanding even when taken little pieces by little pieces to dwell on daily.

Recipe





Party Vegetable Pizza

2 cans refrigerated crescent rolls
16 Ounces cream cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 package ranch dressing mix

Assorted chopped veggies like:
Cauliflower
Onion
Carrots
Cucumber
Green Pepper
Red pepper
Broccoli
Tomato
Mushrooms,
any veggies you like.

Grated Cheddar or other cheeses, or maybe a mixture of several.

Spread crescent rolls out in rectangle on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until brown; cool. Beat cream cheese, mayonnaise and dressing mix; spread over crust. Top with chopped vegetable and cheese. Cut into squares and serve. Can make ahead and refrigerate over night.

Or try

1/2 cup sour cream & 1/2 tsp garlic powder instead of mayo and ranch dressing.

Or try

English muffins instead of cresent rolls. Cut halfs in four triangles to serve.

No comments:

Word of the day.

.:.