Monday, June 9, 2008

The Children of Abraham

John 8: 31-41

31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
33They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?"

34Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37I know you are Abraham's descendants. Yet you are ready to kill me, because you have no room for my word. 38I am telling you what I have seen in the Father's presence, and you do what you have heard from your father."

39"Abraham is our father," they answered.

"If you were Abraham's children," said Jesus, "then you would do the things Abraham did. 40As it is, you are determined to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things. 41You are doing the things your own father does."
"We are not illegitimate children," they protested. "The only Father we have is God himself."

2 comments:

kimberly said...

good afternoon, phyllis....sorry for my absence....but have a lot going on....think of you, but don't always make it by....hope you are getting some rest.
hugs,
kimberly

Joni said...

Good morning dear friend, I hope you are enjoying your days at whatever pace they may be going...sending you hugs across the miles ~

I have a little something for you on my blog whenever you have the time ~

much love,
Joni

Word of the day.

.:.