Friday, July 25, 2008

Finish the work

John 4:34

34"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.


Reading the word of God often triggers my mind in other directions. The words remind me of others words He has said and speaks to me to help me live on this earth the best I possibly can. I admit I'm not the best at taking care of myself. I've always taken care of others and still do. The thing is, unless you take care of yourself, you can't take care of others or most importantly, you can't do the will of God and as the scripture above says, "finish his work".

Several weeks ago I found myself in a mess physically so I went to the doctor who promptly asked if I were taking care of myself like I knew I should. Embarrassed I told him I hadn't been taking my medication. When he asked why I had no answer. Needless to say, I came home with resolve to take those meds like I should and do all the other things I need to do to stay healthy.

This is the same thing that God asks of us. He has given us all we need and it is left up to us to use all He has given us to finish the work He has given us to do. If you don't know what work it is that He has given you to do, you can find out by talking to Him daily. Listen with new ears. Watch with new eyes. Feel with new senses. Take a deep breath and feel the power of God.

4 comments:

Annette said...

why do we women have the tendency to take care of other's and we dont take as good care of our selfs like we should? I don't take very important med's like I should couse I start feeling "better" then I get scared and I start taking them again....I try so hard to let God take of me and I know he will and he has, but then satin come creeping up and knocks me out the hammer, and I get upset over myself, and the whole time I am taking care of other's, It's hard to explaine but I know I dont like living like this and I know I will be healed in his name and love.
You are an awesome lady Phyllis!
Love to you always
Annette

kimberly said...

yes, miss phyllis....you need to listen to the doctor and take better care of yourself.....so you can continue having those grandbaby girls share special fridays with memama....and have your influence in their sweet young lives.....and the countless others i am sure need you!
hugs and love,
kimberly

Anonymous said...

Phyllis, I'm forever forgetting to take my medicine. I pray you get feeling better really soon. Bless you. selahV

Karen said...

Your words were such a blessing to me tonight. God knew exactly what I needed to hear. I'm taking a deep breath and feeling the power of God. I'm listening and watching. thank you.

Word of the day.

.:.