Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ain t no mountain high enough

Romans 8:35-39

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


In 1967 Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell releases the original version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and was a top twenty hit. I remember that well because at that time I was in high school and was very much in love with my future husband.



There is so much security in knowing that you can always depend on someone and that the feeling is mutual. Two years later I was married and both of us working hard to build our lives together. Life was good and all was well with the world so far as we were concerned. Together I think we both decided not to go to church even though both of us had been raised knowing Jesus and had been baptized the same day in the same church as children. Still, all along we talked about going. There was this little heart-string pull. It's the kind of pull that lets you know that God is always around no matter what. Years later when they put my baby in my arms I knew without any doubt God had given me such a special gift and special mission. My son would be raised in church, so we returned to His house for the guidance we needed, but more than that we returned be cause of those heart-string pulls.

The verses in Romans reminds me that God's love is always around us and we can always count on Him. Even if we think God is not around, He is. He has left us the Holy Spirit to guide us. I think of Him like heart-strings living within me and no matter what kind of mountain I might have to struggle over, nothing will keep me from His love.

3 comments:

Annette said...

these words touched my heart so much that I'm all teary eyed, I love the title of your blog and "aint no river deep engough to keep me from loving him" I forget that I always have God with me, thank you so much for the sweet reminder.......Have I told you latley "I love you and I'm SO thankful for your reading's?" you are a gift to us Phyllis, and THANK YOU so much for caring about all of us....Love ya bunches
Annette

kimberly said...

wonderful thoughts today, phyllis....and such a comfort.
hugs,
kimberly

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

Thank you Annette and Kimberly. Love comes in many ways, thru many people and I can see love pouring out of both of you all the time.

Word of the day.

.:.