Thursday, August 21, 2008

Prayers

Nehemiah 1: 5-11


5 Then I said:
"O LORD, God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and obey his commands, 6 let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father's house, have committed against you. 7 We have acted very wickedly toward you. We have not obeyed the commands, decrees and laws you gave your servant Moses.

8 "Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, 'If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, 9 but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.'

10 "They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed by your great strength and your mighty hand. 11 O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man."
I was cupbearer to the king.


I love reading and hearing the prayers of others. So many times I feel the prayers that come out of my mouth in public don't adequately express what I have in my heart. I hold back. Why I'm not sure. That's okay because I know that God knows my heart and listens attentively to each prayer and thought I have no matter if they are spoken or unspoken. Nehemiah had a tough job being the cupbearer to the king. His job was to taste the food and wine before the king did and if Nehemiah lived, the king could then eat in peace knowing it had no poison in it.

Anyway, last night we had a birthday party after church. It was a great day and I thank God for my 61 years and look forward to what each day will bring knowing that God is with me, listens to my prayers and works in my life.

4 comments:

Annette said...

Phyllis, Look at my blog, please I did something just for you!
Love the picture, those two little ones are so darn cute. Happy belated birthday.
Hug's
Annette

Joni said...

Beautiful picture...I hope God is as gracious with me when I turn 61!

I'm happy you had a birthday celebration...it looks like you were surrounded by love ~

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Aw, happy birthday and God bless you greatly. I just love you. selahV

kimberly said...

sweet, sweet picture, phyllis....
i am so thankful for the same things you mentioned....that because of faith, God walks with us, hears our prayers....and continues the work he began in us....
i can't imagine what life would be without believing in Him.
hugs,
kimberly

Word of the day.

.:.