Saturday, August 30, 2008

Praying for popcorn

1 Corinthians 14:14-15

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.

15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.


Lately I've been thinking about prayer quite a bit and listening to the prayers that I hear spoken in public places. Some pray so eloquently that I am taken back at the talent they have to put such wonderful words together without even thinking ahead of time what they might say. Where does this leave me? I suppose somewhere in the middle for I do not have the gift they do. Still, that is okay too because God knows and hears my heart. I know this beyond any doubt.

Last night Carley Ann and Anna Claire were starved so as soon as I put their food on the table they started taking bits. When I sat down Carley Ann looked at me and said, "MeMama, we forgot to say the blessing." I assured her God would understand and then she bowed her head and said her prayer. At the end she said, " and please let us have some popcorn tonight while we watch Barney." You guessed it, they got popcorn. :)

This morning was a crazy morning trying to get everything done we needed to do. These are wonderful days full of amazing wonders and little girl delights.



At Weight Watcher's the other night the leader told us that many times she makes a soup out of a can of diced tomatoes with Italian spices and a dolop of fat free sour cream. I haven't tried that yet, but I found a barbecue sauce recipe that I want to try. Looks good doesn't it.

Ina Garten’s Barbecue Sauce

From The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Makes 1 ½ quarts

1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion (1 large onion)
1 T. minced garlic (3 cloves)
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup tomato paste (10 ounces)
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup honey
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup Dijon mustard
½ cup soy sauce
1 cup hoisin sauce
2 T. chili powder
1 T. ground cumin
½ T. crushed red pepper flakes

In a large saucepan on low heat, sauté the onions and garlic with the vegetable oil for 10 to 15 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not browned. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes. Use immediately or store in the fridge.

3 comments:

Annette said...

I hear people pray ALOT at the hospital and I tend to ease my ear's that way and I love the way hear some of them pray, and ask God to be with them for he knows the circumstance's, I love to pray I feel so much better and you know what I even sleep better, but I'm going be like your granddaughters and start asking for "Cookie Dough Ice Cream" that was just too cute, the faith of little one's!!!
Hugs always
Annette

Joni said...

Many years ago when my children were leaving for a summer missionary trip to Mexico a few of us moms were standing around while the kids were loading up and one or two created a circle and asked everyone to pray and at this point in my life I had not learned how to pray aloud in public...I realized this was going to take some work...but in time the more I did it, the more comfortable I became, still yet this is an area I seek growth in...I don't think I will ever sound as eloquent as some of the others who have a real knack for speaking in public, but it doesn't matter, our words are for God and He knows our hearts...

...I love hearing prayers of children, they are always so precious...they aren't nearly as self conscious and that's where the joy is.

and this bbq sauce recipe does sound pretty tasty!

kimberly said...

they would have gotten popcorn at my house, too, phyllis.....love the story you shared!
hugs for a wonderful day,
kimberly

Word of the day.

.:.