Friday, November 21, 2008

A cold fall night

John 13:13 (King James Version)

Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.


John 13:13 (New King James Version)
You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am.


Many years ago, ha... just yesterday in my mind... I read this passage and others like it and thought having a "Master" wasn't such a good thing. I didn't understand what a master was. I thought having a master would be someone who would make you do things you really didn't want to do, enforce obedience or only have his/her wishes fulfilled with no regard to a lowly servants needs much less desires. I thought of a master as being mean, beating someone into submission. I was so wrong. The New King James version and others gives a better translation as Teacher so when I think of having a master in the light of having a teacher I can begin to understand better. To have a master and to be mastered isn't the same.

God doesn't make me or you do what He wants. Life would be so much easier if He would. Then we wouldn't make so many mistakes and their wouldn't be so much suffering in the world. But, God in his wisdom, didn't create us with that in mind. He made us so He could have a personal relationship with us built on love. That is a lot to think about on a cold fall night. It IS still fall isn't it?

3 comments:

Joni said...

It is a lot to think about, but that personal relationship built on His love can be very warming on these cold fall nights...actually it's comforting every night isn't it?

Thank you for accepting comments...I rather enjoy our shared moments of conversation about whatever scripture speaks to your heart....because it then flows into mine and it's nice to share ~

Love to you ~

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

Thanks for your comments too Joni. I had no idea that my comments option was turned off until I received a message from another friend telling me so. I think it happened awhile back when I was trying to figure out how to keep spammers from leaving rude and crude messages.

...



The last couple of months have been very busy ones for me and I know they have been for you too. I hardly have had time to turn around before something else pops up for me to attend to. I think when we get so busy it's good to have a reminder of what is truly important. Sick grandchildren and a sick mother have given me the opportunity to sit and enjoy moments for what they are. The older I get, the more I realize what folks talk about when they say take time to smell the roses. Love to you too.

Annette said...

Hi Phyllis... yes he is my master, he's the only one that can tell me what to do! and I loved the one before about prayer, I am so Thankful I can talk to him when ever I please and where I want too, another great message, as always!
Hugs
Annette

Word of the day.

.:.