Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Freight Trains

My God, my Rock, in Him will I take refuge; my Shield and the Horn of my salvation; my Stronghold and my Refuge, My Savior...You save me from violence.


2 Samuel 22:3

The train stopped me from crossing the road. I was glad that I was behind other cars because, to be honest, I don't think I was paying that much attention and I had never seen a train actually go by that road before. Yes, I had driven over the tracks many times, but not often enough to know when to expect a train. I don't even know if freight trains have schedules especially on that track.

I watched the train go by and tried to count the cars. Maybe I counted them because I had done so in my childhood, but I think I was just passing time like ticking off seconds to get going again. My mind had been a million miles away trying to deal with the little problems that seemed too big for me to handle. With each car that passed I reminded myself that the train would end soon... one car at a time. I smiled and breathed "this too shall pass" as I dropped the tissue from my eyes and thanked God for slowing me down, protecting me and giving me His word, His promises and His love.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it beautiful that even in the ordinary God can speak to our hearts and our circumstances. We don't have to force a response - we just have to patiently wait and listen. I grew up near active train tracks and I remember the beauty in their whistles and the rhythmic "clackity-clack". Now, I will look to trains with a new fondness of heart. Blessings to you and thank you!

Annette said...

What a beautiful post, I still count the cars and wonder where they're going, to think about it...we are kind of like cars on that train, are we rusted and worn or have we been tagged for everyone to see, and do we know where we are going and where we've been? the caboose is the leader of the train, it runs the whole the whole thing, like God is our caboose, he decides what turns we'll have and what the end of our journey will be like! I love this post.....
Love you too
Annette

Word of the day.

.:.