Sunday, June 7, 2009

Today is the Lord's day

Isaiah 58 13-14

13 "If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the LORD's holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,

14 then you will find your joy in the LORD,
and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob."
The mouth of the LORD has spoken.


When I read words like this it makes me think back to how my grandmother planned for Sunday. She always cooked her Sunday dinner on Saturday and then we would have warmed up food after church. All afternoon would be spent sitting on the porch and enjoying the day. No work no fuss. Today we don't celebrate the sabbath like that. It seems to me that we don't celebrate it much at all. Going to church as become more about what it can do for us rather than what we can do for the Lord. Am I right? Do we ask more than we give? Maybe I should be speaking for myself. I think I do ask more than I give. It's not that I want to ask more than I give, it's just being truthful. Lot's to think about this beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Hope you have a good night tonight.

2 comments:

Joni said...

Sunday is the day I do not make my bed, but it is a conscious effort. I remind myself Sunday is the Sabbath and yes, you are right...we do not put enough emphasis on this Holy day. I think the cusp of my prayers rest on praise and thankfulness...seldom do I ask for anything other than guidance or safekeeping for friends and loved ones. My heart is filled with recognition of His Grace...we are truly so very blessed even when we are unaware.

Wishing you a good evening dear Phyllis ~

selahV said...

this is powerful, Phyllis. Powerful. thanks so much. I was talking to my husband about Sunday's and how we honor God during that day just this past weekend (before Sunday). And I thought how much I fall short of honoring God, not just on Sundays, but all the time. selahV

Word of the day.

.:.