Monday, October 6, 2008

Forgiveness

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.


"None of us are 100% perfect", I heard Pastor Bill Barber say in the pulpit yesterday. How many times have I heard and even said that? Still the guilt of sin lingers on and on even after we have realized our sin, confessed our sin, and know we are forgiven. Why is that? I think one reason is because even though we know God has forgiven us, we can't forgive ourselves and perhaps feel that others haven't forgiven us.

There have been many articles written about how to forgive yourself. A search on the Internet using search words of "forgiving yourself" yields link after link for consideration. Web MD has several pages about your health and forgiveness. Just as being forgiven is a personal act between the person and God, so is self-forgiveness. Although God forgives instantly, we are not God. The process of self-forgiveness is slower as we gain wisdom and understanding of how and why sin entered in our lives in the first place. With God's forgiveness power we begin to forgive ourselves and continue our life journey. Without His power we can do nothing.

I am thankful that God immediately forgives. I'm also thankful that He is patient with me as I continue to find ways to forgive myself and realize that none of us are 100% perfect.... for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)

No comments:

Word of the day.

.:.